How to Install Exchange Server 2016 with CU5 on Windows Server 2012 R2
In this article we will describe, installation of Exchange server 2016 on Windows server 2012 R2. There are 5 steps involved in this installation that we will discuss one by one in this article.
Step – 1
Hardware and Software requirements
CPU – Required 64 Bit CPU for Intel and AMD. Intel Itanium IA64 not supported.
Memory – For mailbox server minimum 8GB memory and for Edge server minimum 4 GB memory required.
Formula: – [(no of mailbox) x (5 MB) + minimum 8 GB for single database Mbx server role]
Example: – [(100 x 5MB) + 8GB] = [(500 MB) + 8 GB] = [.5GB+8 GB] = 8.5GB Approx.
Note: – 2GB more memory required for every additional database.
Paging File:- Add 10 MB in minimum and maximum physical memory for Page file
Storage – Approximately 40GB storage required for exchange 2016 mailbox server installation and for the mailboxes you can calculate storage with the following formula
Formula: – [No. of mailbox x 2GB]
Coexistence Exchange Server support
Exchange 2010 –SP3 with rollup 11 or above should be install on exchange 2010
Exchange 2013 – SP1 with CU12 or above should be installed on Exchange 2013
Step – 2
OS – Exchange server 2016 require at least windows Server 2012 but windows Server 2012 R2 (64 Bit) required for IP less DAG configuration. In this Lab setup, we are using Windows Server 2012 R2. You can also use windows 2016 server.
Required Tools – 1- Download and Install .Net framework 4.6 or above
3- Download and Install Microsoft Unified Communications Managed API 4.0, Core Runtime 64-bit software
Windows Features – Install following Windows roles and features from PowerShell. This will be applicable for Mailbox Server Role.
[Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation, Server-Media-Foundation, NET-Framework-45-Features, RPC-over-HTTP-proxy, RSAT-Clustering, RSAT-Clustering-CmdInterface, RSAT-Clustering-Mgmt, RSAT-Clustering-PowerShell, Web-Mgmt-Console, WAS-Process-Model, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Digest-Auth, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Dyn-Compression, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Http-Redirect, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console, Web-Metabase, Web-Mgmt-Console, Web-Mgmt-Service, Web-Net-Ext45, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Server, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Static-Content, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-WMI, Windows-Identity-Foundation, RSAT-ADDS]
Prepare Schema, AD and Domains
Prepare Schema – Copy Exchange Server 2016 CU5 setup in a folder (could be in separate drive). You can also mount the ISO as a drive with windows and many tools.
- Open Command prompt and navigate “exe” file from Exchange 2016 CU5 setup folder.
- Run “setup /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”
- Run “setup /PrepareAD /OrganizationName:<Org Name> /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”.
Note: – If you already have Exchange Server in your organization, then you only run “setup /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”
- Run “setup /PrepareDomain /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”. You need to run this command if you have more than one Domain.
Exchange Server 2016 CU5 installation
- Run “exe” from command prompt or navigate Exchange setup folder and run “setup.exe”. Setup will check for update, you can select “Connect to the internet….” Or “Don’t check…” click “Next”
- Click “Next” on “Copying Files…” page. And go to the introduction page, it will give you brief of exchange server 2016 CU5, click “Next”
- Select “Next” on Introduction page
- Select “I accept the terms…” on license agreement page and click “Next”
- On recommended setting page you can chose “Use or Don’t Use” recommended settings. This is for error reporting to Microsoft. After selection click “Next”
- On the role selection page, select witch exchange server role you want to install. Exchange 2016 has only 2 roles (Mailbox and Edge server role) I have chosen mailbox server and management console.
- On the next windows, it will show you default installation location. It will also show you required and available disk space. You can change or accept the default and click “Next”
- On the next “Malware Pro….” windows you can enable/disable Malware scanning by choosing yes or no. Click “Next”.
- On the next “Readiness Checks” window. The setup will check prerequisites for Exchange Server 2016. Click “Install” to begin the installation of Exchange Server 2016 CU5.
- There will be 14 steps and it will take some time to finish the installation. You can use check box to “Launch Exchange Administration…” click on “Finish” to complete installation.
To verify Exchange Server installation
- Open “Exchange Admin Center” type https://localhost/ecp on browser and check.
- Open system drive or “C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ExchangeSetup.txt”
- Open “Exchange management Shell” and type “Get-ExchangeServer or Get-ExchangeServer | fl” command